Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know this isn’t a scam?

We understand being concerned about scams. We work in partnership with local law enforcement agencies, and we are happy to provide agency contact information or other means of verification, based on the city or county in which you were cited. Please call the Help Desk at 601-790-7005. For example, here is our program on the website of our first Mississippi partner agency, Ocean Springs Police Department: vehicleinsuranceprogram/

What if I want to go to court?

You have every right to appear in court and contest the charge, in which case we will provide the prosecutor with the government and insurer records associated with your violation. Alternately, you can provide payment and be enrolled in the Diversion Program at that time.

Why did I get this citation? This vehicle was insured at that time.

Government records indicated an uninsured status at the time of the violation. If you have proof of insurance for the date of the citation, please scan and upload it on We will verify it with insurers and request clearance for you.

NOTE: If your vehicle is registered in Mississippi, but your vehicle insurance policy coverage lists your vehicle at an out-of-state address, then that is considered uninsured in Mississippi. Your vehicle must be insured for the address that you have the vehicle registered.  

NOTE: If you are serving in the U.S. military and have out-of-state insurance coverage on the cited vehicle, please contact the Help Desk. They will update the record and clear the citation.

This vehicle was in a trust or consignment lot to be sold. Why is insurance my problem?

You are responsible for insurance coverage until ownership officially changes. Because you are the owner of the vehicle and it was in use, you are responsible for insurance coverage.

What if I was not driving the vehicle?

Mississippi law states that the owner of a vehicle is responsible for insurance coverage of that vehicle, regardless of who is driving it unless the vehicle is stolen.

I don’t have insurance because my vehicle was being restored, repaired, or in storage.

According to our records, the vehicle was being operated on a public road without proper insurance. That is a violation.

I sold this vehicle.  Why is it my responsibility to keep it insured?

To show that you did not own vehicle on date of citation, please scan and upload your official bill of sale on or call the Help Desk at 601-790-7005. We also will need the name and address of the buyer so the citation can be corrected and sent to the current owner.

This vehicle was stolen. How can I be held responsible?

You can’t be.  Please upload a copy of the Police Report and we will get this cleared for you. If you need further assistance, please call the Help Desk at 601-790-7005.

I have insurance now. Why am I responsible for this citation?.

At the time of the violation, all records indicate you did not have insurance.

Can you sell me insurance or at least advise who can?

No, we cannot and do not represent insurers; that would be inappropriate. Please contact an agent to obtain coverage.

How does the Diversion Program help me?

The Diversion Program is the quickest way to resolve your citation. It saves you time and money by allowing you to avoid court costs and license suspension and by keeping the offense off your driving record. Through the Diversion Program, you pay a reduced fine, take a short on-line course, and agree not to allow the vehicle to be driven uninsured.

Can I pay this in person at the Court?

Yes, but only on the date and time of your Court hearing, as indicated on your citation. This is the only time that Court Status personnel are at the Court. Regular Court staff are not able to accept payment. Remember, however, that payment and completion of the Diversion Program eliminates your need to attend the Court hearing.

Can I pay this with a check?

Checks are not accepted for payment. A money order can be accepted in person on the date and time of your Court hearing, as indicated on your citation. This is the only time that Court Status personnel are at the Court. Regular Court staff are not able to accept payment. However, please be aware that you must also register online and complete the other requirements of the Diversion Program.

What if I can’t pay this right now?

Payments can be made over a three-month period. Please go to or call the help desk 601-790-7005 to further assist you with this.

Ok. It’s true that I have driven my vehicle without insurance (or allowed it to be driven without insurance). What do I need to do?

If your vehicle was uninsured on the date of citation, then we can help you resolve the citation through our Diversion Program – without going to court, without missing work, without paying the higher cost court fine and fees, and without the insurance lapse being reported to the State. This Diversion Program exists to help you, but you must do three things: (1) agree not to allow use of this vehicle on a public roadway while it is uninsured, (2) pay the $300 course fee, and (3) complete the online Diversion course.

Once I have provided proof of insurance, how long and why do I have to wait for verification?

Depending on how long it takes for the insurer to respond, this verification can take 3-4 business days. We must verify that the proof of insurance was current for the date of citation. Unfortunately, some persons sign up for insurance but cancel it as soon as they get their insurance card.